Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Headbutting At the Mall

We took Owen to the mall the other weekend and it wasn’t the best of trips.  On the one hand, he did get to lope up and down the corridors and tire himself out.  On the other hand, he got to tire us out with many tantrums.  The first problem was that he didn’t want to leave the photo booth.  So while Sean went off to get some sneakers, I stayed and let Owen hang out in the booth and press buttons.  But after about twenty minutes of this, I began to get very bored and tried to get him to leave the booth.  Ultimately, I had to pick him up and carry him away, while trying not to get head-butted in the face.  Yes, fun times.

And then Owen wanted to go up in the elevator, and I made what was probably a mistake in saying no, since I thought Sean was about to come out of the store with his sneakers.  And then once I had said no, I didn’t want to go back on my word, so I had to suffer through another prolonged tantrum.  But then Sean emerged and up we went and Owen got to ride on the merry-go-round that is in the mall.  (And as I write this, I hear people say maybe we shouldn’t have rewarded him with a ride after his two tantrums?  And maybe we shouldn’t have, except that I don’t think he is quite at the age where he can make/understand the connections.  Soon.)  He sat on the horse with me standing next to him, and alternately said Weeeeeeeee!” and “good girl!” to the horse.  He’s polite that way.

Here are some pictures of Owen in the mall with Susan later in the week.  Apparently he threw many pennies into the fountain and Susan’s keys, which were retrieved.







No comments: