Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Owen Flotsam


I was telling Owen the other day about how when Dorothy was a puppy she didn’t like to go on walks, and so when I would walk her in the city she would lie down on the sidewalk.  And then people would sometimes come up to me and start giving me a lecture about how I shouldn’t walk bulldogs in the hot, and I would politely let them know that we were one door down from our house and that Dorothy had walked a few feet. 
Owen considered this a minute and then said:  So they electrocuted you?
Me:  No!  they lectured me!  It means to scold or be bossy!

I’ve noticed that Owen is in general quite good at coming up with thoughtful gift ideas.  When we go to one of his friend’s parties, he will tell me what he thinks they will like.  And when we got Sean Christmas and birthday gifts, the gifts Owen suggested were actually quite on point.  Related to this, Owen likes to ask me what my favorite movie is, because he likes to listen to me say, “The Double Life of Veronique” in a fake French accent.  Anyway, my birthday is coming up, and he’s been asking me what I want as a gift and making some suggestions, and the other day he suggested that he could get me action figures for “The Double Life of Veronique.”  He was quite confused with I explained that such figures did not exist.  A movie with no action figures?!!!  Oh the horror.  He had a fever last Saturday and we were having a movie binge (he watched “Finding Dory” – he sobbed when Dory couldn’t find her parents at the end.  Note to self:  lost kid movies aren’t his favorite; “The Wizard of Oz”; and “Up”) and he asked if we could watch “The Double Life of Veronique.”  I told him it was too old for him, and besides, it has subtitles and since he can’t read yet he wouldn’t know what was happening.  He then suggested that I could read him the words?  So we did for about thirty minutes before he (rightly) lost interest.


Me:  Where’s Plum?
Owen, walking by:  He’s in my lair.
Me: 
Owen from the other room:  HE’S MY LAIR CAT!

I was talking to Owen and mentioned something about him needing a new pair of pants.
Owen:  A pear of pants?
Me:  No!  A pair of pants!  It kind of means two.
Owen:  Can you have a pair of pears?
Me:  


We were talking about rollercoasters and how some people hold on tightly, while others put their hands in the air and go, woo hoo! 
Me:  So what would you do on a rollercoaster?
Owen:  I’d hold on tightly with one hand, and raise the other hand in the air and go woo hoo!
Me:  Fair enough!

Sean likes to quote Rocky (I think.  I’m a terrible Philadelphian, as despite living here for 13 years now, I’ve never had a cheesesteak and I’ve never seen a Rocky movie) at Dorothy and say, “She’s a bum!  And she’ll always be a bum!”  Owen mishears the quote and will say to Dorothy, “Beetlebum!  And be a bum!”


Owen, getting angry at me for something I was making him do:  You’re making me have to hit you!

At one point a few months ago he kept trying to wear different shoes on his feet, so a sneaker, say, with a saddleshoe.  When I protested, he said, “But I want them to be friends on my feet!”

Owen:  Tomorrow, Mom, I get to be the boss and you have to do what I say.
Me:  No, that’s not how it works, Owen.  The adult is always the boss.
Owen:  But you have to take turns!


He still has language mishaps which amuse me.  He insists on saying “ephelant” for elephant still, and when we practice the alphabet he’ll say “Hat is for H” and “Cat is for C” instead of the other way around.  He has a lot of Thomas trains which he’ll play with every now and again.  Since he doesn’t play with them as much as he used to, he forgets some of their names (he has about 60).  The other day I realized he was calling the “Fearless Freddie” train “Terrified Mike”.  Ha!

Owen:  I love fruit.
Me:  That’s nice!
Owen:  My favorite kind of blueberries are raspberries.
Me: 

1 comment:

Judith Ross said...

The Double Life of Veronique, Oh does that bring back memories -- we saw it together, I think. At any rate, I always associate it with you. You have a copy? I'd love to see it again. I doubt I can find it streaming on Netflix or anywhere else.

It sounds as though Owen is a terrific listener and observer. And it sounds like you are getting to the age where you have to pick your battles. Regular bed time? Hold fast. Mismatched shoes? Meh.... although that does sound like a good opportunity to explain that one must dress appropriately in certain situations while other times it doesn't matter so much.

Come to Portland! We will soon have lots of room for guests. Sean's beard will feel right at home here.