Monday, March 26, 2018

Elephant Sweater

Back in the day pre-bulldogge puppy and pre-child, I had a lot of evenings in which to knit.  I went a bit crazy knitting sweaters, and my final sweater before I got Dorothy was a Rowan cape-y type sweater that looks like this:



I even purchased a special kilt-pin to close it with, although I'm not quite sure where I stashed said pin.  But then I got Dorothy, and since I was working all day, I needed to tire her out and give her my attention, so my knitting fell temporarily by the wayside.

But then I got pregnant and had Owen, and as you can imagine, my spare time for knitting did not increase.  Cut to the beginning of last summer when Owen found some of my knitting paraphernalia, and asked if I could knit him a sweater, preferably one with an elephant on it.

I said yes, and found a really cute free pattern (Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller).  I thought I could easily do a kid-size sweater in a few months, but I ended up knitting a bit and then stopping for a bit, etc., so it wasn't until February when I finally finished.  Here it is:



And here is Owen wearing it and making the trunk look for a peanut:



I'm pleased with it and had fun doing it once I worked on it more regularly. I found another project I had half finished -- some sort of chocolate-brown sweater for me that I have no memory of buying the yarn for or starting -- and am finishing the final sleeve now.  If I can muster a bit more energy, I shall one day soon go through my way too large knitting stash and try to match yarn to knitting pattern.  I'm not sure it is possible!  But I am back from my hiatus, baby.  Or back from my baby hiatus.

2 comments:

Judith Ross said...

Oh my goodness, you are a much braver and ambitious knitter than I am. I love both sweaters! I can manage one color. The sweater I just completed required some less than basic finishing techniques. Mistakes were made but lessons learned too. Please do post the brown sweater in process with you in it!

Heidi and Dave said...

Hooray for knitting! The sweater is fabulous! I love the design. And I love that Owen loves elephants.